|The plane comes completely covered, and
there is very little left to do to get the plane in the air. This
shot shows the plane before I added the decals. The decals really
spruce it up.
|This is a detail shot inside the fuse,
just under the wing. For my electric conversion I did very little
to the plane. The servo tray originally came with a slot to hold
the receiver (located where the receiver sits in the picture) but I cut
it off to give me flexibility in moving the battery for balance.
I used Hitec HS85MG's for all the servos, and replaced the included pull-pull
rods with some thinner ones. The original rods puzzled me, as the
plane was setup for pull-pull and thick rods were not necessary.
The thinner rods are much lighter and slide through the sleeves much easier.
|Here you can see
the details of my motor setup. I used the motor mounts that came
with the plane which were designed to hold a gas motor. Two CF rods
help stablize the motor between the mounts, and they are inserted through
holes in the firewall which were drilled to establish the proper thrust
angle. A standard metal hose clamp holds the motor firmly.
The motor is an Endoplasma geared 6:1 with a MEC superbox, run on 8 cells
and turning a 16x10 APC prop. Static current draw approaches 40amps,
for a nominal power output of 320 watts
|I tested the plane with an 8 cell pack
of Sanyo CP1700SCRs. The plane balanced with the pack pushed right
up against the firewall. If you look at the previous picture you
can see that I mounted the motor pretty far out front to help achieve the
balance. HINT: when arranging
your equipment in the fuse, try to get the plane balanced at the front
former without the wing. This is a good starting point for test flights.
The front former is indicated in this picture by two red dashes on either
side of the plane.
|To help keep all the electic bits cool,
I installed a few air scoops on the plane. This picture highlights
the two scoops on either side of the nose. I used the old trick of
cutting up a plastic spoon for the scoops, and I painted them yellow.
|Here you can see the two exhaust scoops
installed on the bottom of the plane. Air flowing over these scoops
will actually draw air through the fuse. For reference, the aft most
scoop is directly under the servos. I'm a bit undecided at this point
if I should try to camoflage the scoops by painting them red.
|Just for kicks I strapped my wireless
video system from Black Widow A/V
onto the magic and did some bankin' and yankin' :-)
here and select "save target as" to save the video to your hard drive.